Sunday, July 13, 2008

Eggless fruit cake


I am craving to eat something sweets, but I didn't have eggs , well I found this wonderful recipe from here

I tweaked the recipe according any item I have in my pantry. I added sour cream, rum, molasses,double acting baking powder, and figs. I didn't have orange juice, and dried fruit, I have some figs and pecans only , but the cake still taste so good and soft.


Ingredients:

1 cup(125 g) all purpose flour

1/2 cup(100 g) + 1/4 cup(50g) sugar

7 tbs (100g) butter

Spice powder - 2″ cinnamon + 4 green cardamoms + 5 cloves powdered

3/4 cup fresh orange juice

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

2 tbs orange marmalade (any mixed fruit jam can be used)

1/4 tsp salt

Dry fruits

-1/3 cup(50 g) raisins

1/4 cup(50 g) chopped prunes

1/2 cup(50 g) chopped pecans

1/2 cup(50 g) chopped cashews

1/2 cup(100gm) tutti frutti


Method:

Preheat the oven at 350F for about 10 mins.Take all the dry fruits in a bowl. Melt the butter and add it to the fruits. Mix.Heat 1/2 cup sugar with 1 tbs water in a thick bottomed pan till it becomes dark brown in color (caramel. If you burn this, the cake become bitter, so be careful).Add this to the fruits and mix. When it is cooled a bit, add orange marmalade, orange juice, 1/4 cup sugar and salt, spice mixture,vanilla.Sieve together flour, baking powder and soda.Add these dry ingredients to the fruit mixture a little at a time,mixing with a spoon.Grease a baking dish and pour the batter into it.

Bake it at 350F for about 25-30 mins or till a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments: