Sunday, February 1, 2009
Homemade Kway Teow ~ Steamed Flat Rice Noodles
I tried this nice recipe from The waitakere redneck's kitchen, it is really good recipe. I know , it is easier to buy in the Chinese groceries, but it is really worth it trying to made this yourself, much different from groceries store, this one fresh, and silky soft.
Makes 8-9 pieces (½ kg)
Ingredients 150g rice flour
1½ Tbsp wheat starch flour
2 Tbsp corn starch
400ml cold water
1 Tbsp Oil ½ tsp Salt
1. Mix the rice flour, wheat starch and corn flour together. Add the water and stir continuously.
2. Add in the oil, salt and mix thoroughly.
3. Set the batter aside for at least an hour.
4. Prepare your steamer
5. When the water is boiling, ladle and spread a thin layer of batter onto the tray Steam for about 4-5 mins on high.
6. Remove the tray from the steamer and leave to cool slightly (I leave it on a tray of ice cold water to quicken the process) before using a scrapper to fold the kway teow. While waiting for the kway teow to cool, put in the next tray to steam.
7. Cut into thin strips for fried kway teow. The noodle sheets can be kept in airtight containers in the fridge for a day or 2.